- Study findings reveal higher pregnancy and live birth rates in patients undergoing assisted reproductive technology (ART) with originator follitropin alfa compared to biosimilars.
- The retrospective study evaluated medical records of 364 infertile women who underwent ART at Akanksha Hospital and Research Institute in India between 2016 and 2020.
- Patients receiving follitropin alfa originator exhibited higher rates of cleavage stage and blastocyst stage embryos, resulting in improved pregnancy and live birth rates compared to the biosimilar group.
- Pregnancy rates were notably higher in the follitropin alfa group (59.2% vs 39.7% for biosimilar), along with higher live birth rates (43% vs 17.7% for biosimilar).
- Researchers acknowledged limitations such as the retrospective study design, unequal sample sizes, and potential bias, while recognizing the importance of future prospective randomized controlled trials to solidify evidence.