- The study analyzed the top 125 TikTok videos regarding Brittle Nail Syndrome (BNS), which amassed a total of 28,899,480 views and 1,925,915 likes.
- The creators of the videos were categorized into groups, with patients (30.4%) and health/wellness "gurus" (16%) being the dominant categories, while board-certified dermatologists (BCDs) accounted for only 8.8%.
- The most common content category was treatment (49%), and approximately 85% of the videos adhered to BNS treatment guidelines by mentioning relevant recommendations.
- Despite a lack of strong evidence, 24.6% of the TikTok video content indicated biotin as a treatment option for BNS, even though the FDA had cautioned against its interference with laboratory tests.
- The research underscored the imperative for increased participation of BCDs on TikTok to counteract misinformation, with only a minority (25.8%) of dermatology-related videos being posted on TikTok by BCDs in a related study.